Jakarta


This South East Asian country blew me away. I'm expecting a city more like Manila, but I am glad to be mistaken. Security is tighter in Jakarta but less intrusive than Manila. Malls are big, clean, carries brands that we only see from Sex and the City. I am amazed. The honest 'bird' taxi, if not in Jakarta, I don't think I can ever afford to hire an Mercedes Benz. Surprisingly nokia phones are cheaper than Manila. One of my tourist spots are groceries in every city that I visit. This part I'm a bit disappointed with Jakarta, still nothing beats the supermarket in Siam Paragon. Most of the items in the grocery are from Australia, even snacks. I wonder where did the local products went. This is Indonesia. Most of the factories in the Phils moved to that part of Asia and yet I cant find them in the groceries.

Where to change money? This is very important for tourists in Jakarta. Change at the airport, it is the only money changer where you can trade your money hassle free and at a very good rate. Exchange rate is much higher than the bank. Even in a 5* shopping mall you will find scrupulous money changers, much to our dismay. Forex in malls, they pour water into your dollar to check the authenticity, no marks, no stamps, no holes, not crumpled, serial number should only start with this number. and even one of the money changer in this mall made writings in our dollar so that it will has a lesser value. What the f'#$%&?

Talking about shopping malls in Jakarta. This city has the best malls per square meter in South East Asia esp when it comes to high end boutiques and flagship stores. In Manila, we only had Greenbelt. but in Jakarta, Plaza Indonesia, Pacific Place, etc etc. Its like an Orchard Road City.
Security is tight, metal scanners, K9, and guards on every level. Picture taking is not allowed. I was asked to stopped from taking pictures. hahaha! Hello to me for not reading the rules.

Dharmawangsa. This is one of the homiest (if that word exist) hotel Ive ever visited. We did not stay there, only had a million rupiah lunch, but had the chance to inspect the Suite. It is huge, with Alegre like bath tub. If only budget is not an issue...hahaha!

Comments

Popular Posts