Punta Isla, Lake Sebu, South Cotabato


Most recent trip : September 2006

No. of time I had been here : 1

Hotels/Resort I stayed in :
Punta Isla

Best time to go : month of November

Am I going back to Lake Sebu : during Helubong Festival only

With great anticipation, excitement and fear rolled into one, I embark on a trip to South Cotabato with my adventurous college roommate. Lake Sebu wasn't really the purpose of going back to Mindanao, but it was to attend the wedding of my other college roommate in Davao City. Since we are already in Davao, we decided to might as well to go to Lake Sebu in order not to maximize the increasingly high airline fuel surcharge. From Davao City, we took a bus to General Santos. Then from General Santos, we took another bus to Koronadal. Then another bus to Surallah. From the town of Surallah, a jeepney ride uphill to the Lake District. One option would be to ride a motorcycle to Lake Sebu but due to our baggages we opt to ride the jeepney eventhough we have to wait for it to reach the jeep's maximum capacity.

Before our arrival to South Cotabato, I asked the sales officer of Punta Isla, if there are Muslim extremist in Lake Sebu, just in case, since damages brought about by terrorist activities/attacks are not covered by our travel insurance or any travel insurance for that matter. He politely answered, Ma'am, we are not Muslims here, we are T'boli's. We have deep respect for our Muslim brother but we are not one of them, we have different beliefs. I was shocked. I had never felt so ignorant in my life until that day. What a generalization and weak assumption had I came up with? Not all people in Mindanao are extremist. Shame on me.

Upon arrival in Lake Sebu town, we saw a lake. Finally! We made it to the summer capital of Mindanao, but to my surprise, it wasn't Lake Sebu. I learned that there are actually many lakes in Lake Sebu, but Lake Sebu is the biggest one and its the most populous. After the lake view, we went inland, no signs of the lake anymore. The town looks very ordinary, just like any other town in Sorsogon. I'm beginning to wonder how did it became very popular for culture vultures. After getting off the jeep, we hired a tricycle to bring us to Punta Isla Resort. When we got there, its a wow moment. We were greeted by a magnificent view of the lake. An islet, fish ponds, lilies, T'boli canoes and a floating cottage around the lake. Everything is in its perfectly natural place. This is so different. And we have just arrived.

Comments

Popular Posts