Magellan's Cross, Taboan Market and Taoist Temple in Cebu

Most recent trip : May 2010

No. of times I had been there : 10+

Hotel/Resorts I've stayed :
UP Cebu Dormitory
Waterfront Hotel - Lahug
Plantation Bay
Cebu Midtown Hotel
Diplomat Hotel
My inlaw's home

Best time to go : anytime of the year

Am I still going back to Cebu City and Mactan Island? Definitely.


Let me tell you about my trips to Cebu...

My first solo trip was in Cebu way back February 2000 to attend an annual engineering convention at Waterfront Hotel in Lahug. At the Centennial Airport, I met a fellow participant who is also traveling alone. We have so many things in common including graduates of the state university, both traveling alone and first time travelers. Like most attendees do, half of the time we listened to lectures and the other half sight seeing.

First stop was Magellan's Cross. I thought its a huge monument based on its historical importance and popularity. But it wasn't. I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or impressed with what I saw but at least I got the chance to visit such a historical site. The surrounding wasn't clean as there are so many people selling souvenirs, candles and Sto. Nino's.

Next stop Taboan Market. This is where you can find the authentic Cebu souvenirs shop (danggit, fish tapa, fish tocino, pusit and 7D mango rind). What do I mean by authentic? Authentic means real functional market, no frills, where it is very hot on a hot day, the smell of the 'souvenirs' are overpowering plus you are free to touch and feel the dried goods before it is packed. When you leave Taboan, expect to bring the fishy scent with you anywhere you go.

Then we went to the Taoist Temple. Its very similar to the temple in Baguio but this has a view. You can also have your fortune told by the kidney beans.

What do I think about the places I visited at that time ?
Magellan's Cross : only if I'm accompanying friends or relatives on their 1st trip to Cebu.
Taboan Market : I will just buy in Cebu supermarkets
Taoist Temple : not going back

Comments

Popular Posts